The new book tells the story of the only Third Reich feature film -- out of nearly 1100 produced -- which was followed day-by-day as it was conceived, written, scripted, forbidden, revised, re-approved, filmed, edited, banned, re-edited, and kept banned by Goebbels in 1943–1944 through to the end of the war. One of the most fascinating film adventures of the twelve years of the Third Reich!
1. A sketch by Karl Ritter of his study of the cockpit seating arrangement in the Junkers 88–D air reconnaissance aircraft, which was the aircraft of the film's title, "Dora."
2. Ritter in his Luftwaffe Major's uniform outside of Paris at Buc airfield, where part of the film was shot in August 1942. This photo is from June 1942 when he made a four week visit to prepare for the film and gain insights from the airmen and squadron to give more authenticity to the script. At this time the squadron's air reconn flights were photographing London to provide bombing targets for the Luftwaffe.
3. Ritter, his son Gottfried (the film's editor) and film's stars have a day off in Greater Paris on 20 August 1942, where they enjoyed a swim in the pool in Versailles. Ritter standing at the left, with his finger up in the air, signalling the start to a race into the pool.
4. Handsome Dora film star Hannes Stelzer, himself a Luftwaffe pilot in real life, and given leave of absence to star in his fifth Ritter film, signs autographs for his comrades after a film shoot on the Buc airfield, August 1942. He died 2 1/2 years later in Slovakia, when his plane was shot down by a Red Air Force fighter, December 1944.
5. Luftwaffe Fernaufklärer Staffel F./122 men enjoying recreational activities in October 1942 at the Gostkino air base located 85 miles south of Leningrad, when the Siege of Leningrad was underway. Deep inside the Soviet Union, the Dora film crew of 45 men filmed for an entire month.
Also shown, as reproduced on page 277 of the book, the Hannes Stelzer film studio shot also used in the cinema owner's promotion guide (Werberatschlag") for the film in 1943.